Saturday, June 27, 2009

Squash and Bell Pepper Soup


This is a wonderful and easy way to use up your yellow squash if, like me, you don't really enjoy eating it! I've tried it the traditional Southern way - fried with onions. I've tried it on the grill - skewered and lightly seasoned. I've even tried it raw, dipped in hummus!

But I've found that using one of my all-time favorite vegetables to mask the texture and complement the flavor of the squash makes me want to eat it every day. Red bell peppers to the rescue! I will admit that red bell peppers are one item that I usually can not get locally grown. The Dekalb Farmer's Market frequently has organic peppers from Canada and I purchase those. I can live without red bell peppers, of course, but many things are much better with them.

I originally found this recipe on Epicurious but made some modifications based on my preferences. The recipe calls for yellow bell pepper and fresh coriander (cilantro). I use red bell pepper and ground coriander.


My version:

1 spring onion chopped white portion only
2 tbsp unsalted butter (from Sparkman's Cream Valley in Moultrie, GA)
1 large red bell pepper chopped
3 medium yellow squash chopped
1 cup homemade chicken broth (you can substitute vegetable broth)
sprinkles of ground coriander to serve

Chop the onion, pepper and squash, keep separate.
Melt butter in a large skillet or stock pot and saute onion until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add red pepper and cook until tender.
Add squash and, yes, cook until tender. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
Transfer to blender to puree.
Return soup to saucepan to heat through.
Add water or additional broth to thin consistency if desired.
Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Sprinkle with ground coriander when in bowls to serve.




















































Whatever you do, don't forget the dusting of coriander or try it with fresh cilantro! When I have had this soup with out it, I can tell a dimension of flavor is missing.

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me each time you prepare this tasty soup exactly how naturally sweet it is.

    ReplyDelete