Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Experimental Beet Greens and Garbanzos with Beef


This recipe was inspired by one I heard on NPR's "How Low Can You Go?" recipe challenge. The recipe calls for spinach instead of beet greens, but I wanted to work with what I had on hand. And I had some beets in the fridge with their tops still attached that I didn't even know I could use. Jason was out of town on a business trip, so it was the perfect time for an experiment that could go wrong!

I made this up as I went and made a serving for one, so the proportions can be changed to meet your needs.


1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 large Vidalia onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1/8 lb of ground beef
1/2 cup of cooked garbanzos
greens from four beets chopped

In a wok or skillet, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion is soft
Add ground beef
When beef is mostly browned, add garbanzos
When beef is completely browned, add greens and cook until tender











































I enjoyed eating this experiment! The final product was kind of a clump as the garbanzos became mushy and formed a paste. For future uses, I would probably add some broth to thin it down a bit. The beet greens had a grassier flavor than spinach and were quite tasty! They'd be good sauteed on their own with some garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment