Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Oven "Fried" Chicken

I started back to grad school this week! My classes are all in the evenings, three days a week. I get home around eight and, needless to say, don't feel like making a complicated meal. I am trying to build up my database of really quick meals for my school days. I am also planning to plan a little better...is that like deciding to stop procrastinating tomorrow?

Lately, I have been buying only whole chickens instead of buying packages of breasts or thighs. Using all parts of the chicken is preferable to supporting animals being raised just for certain parts. But, my favorite local chicken source, Springer Mountain Farms (I've started buying directly from them), produces humanely treated chicken breasts, thighs and wings. Having purchased a package of the tenders from Publix, I thought a simple breading and baking of them would make a tasty meal.

My version of this chicken is based on a Martha Stewart recipe.

3 slices of bread toasted
1/4 c grated Asiago
1 1/2 tsp Italian spice mix
2 eggs
6 chicken tenders

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

Put first three ingredients in food processor; blend until combined and bread is in small crumbs.
Transfer to a bowl.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl until combined. Lightly grease a cast iron skillet or cookie sheet.

Dip chicken in eggs (allowing excess to drip off), then dredge in crumb mixture. Place in/on greased skillet/sheet.

Cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Serve with BBQ sauce if you like.


The crunch of the bread crumbs is reminiscent of fried chicken, without the mess or the extra fattiness. I kept mine really simple and just had some chopped tomato and Vidalia onions on the side. Jason went even simpler with just BBQ sauce!

1 comment:

  1. The Chicken looks yummy...but, I was wondering...about this receipe. I always was taught to first coat the chicken with flour..then egg..then seasonings..just sayin'
    ps..4 some reason I always spell recipe wrong @&#>?%

    ReplyDelete