Sunday, August 9, 2009

Roasted Vegetables

In another "who cares that it's summer" move, I roasted a chicken last week, but a few snafus with the camera delayed any posting. I also didn't take any pictures of the chicken because, well, how many pictures of a roasted chicken does one really need to see?

Last week's chicken had the best flavor of any recent chickens! I stuffed the cavity with fresh sage, sun dried tomatoes, and chunks of red onion. I poured water to surround the chicken in the pan and added additional sun dried tomatoes and sage. So flavorful! The sweetness of the tomatoes was perfectly delicious.















For a side, we had roasted vegetables (why waste all that good oven heat!). Fennel, red onion (both from Moore Farms) and red bell pepper from Your Dekalb Farmer's Market. At the last minute, I decided to throw in some cherry tomatoes, also from Moore Farms.

To get the vegetables going, I melted about a teaspoon of butter in my cast iron skillet. The butter came from Sparkman's Cream Valley in Moultrie, GA. This butter is wonderful, but it is very different from store-bought butter. I made brownies with some last month, used the same amount of butter that I normally use, but they came out super oily and heavy. I've found that for most things I use significantly less butter when I use Sparkman's. I also have to freeze most of it as we don't typically use a lot and it can go bad more quickly. When the vegetables were coated but nit quite softened, I put them in the oven to crisp up.

















A very simple, very delicious meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment