Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thai Curry














Discovering how to cook our favorite restaurant meals is one of my favorite things to do. Once I know how to make something at home, we no longer need to go out to get it. Though, sometimes going out to a restaurant is really a pleasure.

Jason and I both love Thai food and whenever we have a dish we really like, we first try to figure out the ingredients while eating it and then research it to see how close our guesses were. Sometimes, we do better than others.

I've been making Thai Green Curry for years now. I found the recipe in a Seattle newspaper probably eight years ago. Oh my! I make it from memory...usually omitting a few key ingredients and not realizing it until Jason says, "did you remember the _______ (usually sugar)?" I also sometimes substitute red curry paste for the green if I've forgotten to replenish the supply of green, not that that happens...

I think the original recipe called for carrots and eggplant. I use whatever vegetables I have on hand, so this is not an authentic Thai recipe.

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 14 oz can coconut milk
14 oz chicken broth (or vegetable)
2 tbsp green curry paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
splash of fish sauce
fresh basil (I've used up to 1 cup)
1 red Thai chili (if you like extra heat)
chicken breast cut into bite-sized cubes or whole shrimp
assorted vegetables:
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • green beans
    or
  • broccoli
Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and curry paste. Cook until paste separates. Add 1/2 the coconut milk and 1/2 the broth. Tear a few of the basil leave and add to broth mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Add remaining broth and coconut milk to wok. Add chicken. If using shrimp, add vegetables, sugar, fish sauce and remaining basil immediately. Let chicken cook until mostly done. Add vegetables, sugar, fish sauce and remaining basil. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are slightly softened.














Serve over rice.


A tasty way to get lots of veggies!

1 comment: